So, when I was at my parent's house for Christmas, it hit me that the baby was breech, and that she had been for quite some time. I realized that I never got kicked in the ribs, but was ALWAYS getting kicked in the bladder. I mean, I guess I had realized that before, but it was then that I put 2 and 2 together and realized she was actually breech. I had an appointment that next week, and had my doctor confirm that she was indeed breech. I felt very panicked, and he told me not to worry because she had plenty of time to turn still. I told him that I didn't think she would since she hadn't been turning around at all already. I remember with both Hannah and Sydney that they would be doing flips all over the place in there! I never knew what body part was where. This baby is ALWAYS in the same position....head directly under my rib cage on the right side, and feet always kicking downwards. My ribs feel so bruised because she never moves. I can only imagine how her poor little head feels.
Friday, February 05, 2010
Probably a c-section
Every two weeks since then my doctor re-confirms that she's still breech (not that I can't tell), and has told me not to worry and that she could still turn. At my appointment I had yesterday (my 34 week appointment), he walked in the room and asked if she had changed positions. I told him no. After feeling my belly to confirm her position, he asked if I knew what I would like to do. I had talked to him back in December about my options, which was to try to turn her at 37 weeks, and if that worked (it only does about 50% of the time....and over 10% of the time the baby goes into distress and then we would go into emergency c-section) then I could go on to have her naturally. Or, we could just wait and if she didn't turn on her own, then have a c-section. Anyway, I had no doubt in my mind that we would try to turn her at 37 weeks, but for some reason this last week I have been having a lot of second thoughts about doing that. I told myself that I would just wait and see what my doctor says about it. So, when he asked what I would like to do, I told him my concerns, and then asked him what his thought are...what he thinks I should do. He told me he used to do the versions a lot, but it seemed that so often there were the emergency c-sections, and sometimes the babies would have to be in the NICU because things went wrong or they just weren't ready to be born yet. He said that usually when a baby is breech and doesn't turn on its own, there's usually a reason for it, like the cord is too short or is around the neck, but that sometimes they just are in that position for no reason. He suggested that I don't do the version, and just wait and see what happens, but if I wanted to do it, then he would have no problem doing it.
So, with my doc's hesitancy and with my own hesitancy, I felt that the best decision would be to wait and see what happens. I still do not think she will turn, so I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for a c-section. I am absolutely 100% terrified of having one! When I start to think about it a lot, I feel like I'm going to panic. I don't know if I will be able to control those panic emotions when I'm actually in the situation. I'm very scared and hope so much that she turns. As much as I don't want a c-section, I do feel strongly that this is the best decision for the baby. I guess we'll wait and see what happens......
Posted by
Angela
at
7:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I know how scary a c-section is, let's hope that it doesn't happen. But if it does I'll be praying that all goes well.
As a person who has had 3 out of 4 pregnancies end in c-section, let me tell you that you will be fine. It really isn't that bad. Infact, in some ways it is better. As far as turning...she still might. Teancum was in position on my Dr. appt on a tuesday and by time I went into labor on thursday we was breech. So it can happen at the very last moment. Good luck. Hope all goes well for you guys.
Looks like you and I might be in the same boat!! I am going in this Thursday the 11th for a c-section. Although I have been planning on that this whole pregnancy. I had Daxton via c-section and it was so so nice! If I could be guaranteed that things would go as smoothly as they did the first time, I would be jumping up and down excited. It wasn't bad at all. I am of course a little nervous which is normal, but I'm glad to be able to do the c-section rather than a vaginal delivery. Either way, I hope all goes well for you and I am positive that you will do just fine! So good luck. Isn't it crazy how fast time flies by?
Hey Angela - I was scared to death too. Jarrett's heartrate kept dropping & he wasn't fitting through my pelvis, so they just came in & told me I was going to have one! (nothing you can really do at that point) The c-section is not painful itself. You don't feel any pain, all you feel is a little pressure of them squeezing the baby out. But, I'm not going to lie & say the recovery was fun. The first week was pretty rough, but you will be okay & back to your old self in no time! I will be praying for you & hoping that baby turns! But, if she doesn't, you will be fine & I'm sure that hubby will help you out lots!
<3 Bon
I know the thought of it must be scary, but I honestly don't think they are that bad. My first labor proved that I had too small of pelvic bones, so I've had 4 c-sections and I actually don't mind them. After the first few times of standing up after the c-section, your strength will come back quickly, and it doesn't take that long to feel back to normal, even though they say it takes 6 weeks to full recovery, I always felt great after a few weeks. The thought of having a c-section is hard though, so don't think about that part of it too much. I honestly never felt pain during my c-sections, and even for a few days after, they would ask me where my pain level was on a scale of 1 to 10 and it was never even bad, maybe a 3 or 4, and I took very minimal pain killers too (because I hate them). I loved that I could be awake and sit there with a smile on my face while the whole thing was going on. It was somewhat pleasant for childbirth. lol! Anyways, I hope everything goes smoothly for you, but don't psych yourself out about it. I'm sure you'll do great!
Angie! I am glad that Cherish left you such a sweet comment. I was going to tell you to talk to her, cuz she's a pro =) You are in my prayers and I am hoping the little one turns on her own, but I think your intuition is right, and if she doesn't turn on her own, then there's a reason for it. You are so strong and amazing, I know you can handle whatever comes your way (and a priesthood blessing will really help your nerves). I wish I lived closer to help out more. Try to enjoy the last of your pregnancy and I will see you tomorrow!!!
Post a Comment